Today’s increasingly complicated and multi-jurisdictional restructuring transactions require substantial expertise from diverse practice areas and jurisdictions. Companies, partnerships, trusts or group structures in challenging circumstances need not only the best legal experts in each jurisdiction involved, but attorneys with a solutions-driven mind-set that grasp the bigger picture and can offer a flexible, creative approach.
Conyers has extensive experience with highly complex, cross-border corporate, debt and equity restructurings, including recent work for Digicel, Seadrill, Weatherford and the Noble Group of Companies. Our restructuring and turnaround teams comprise members of the firm’s litigation, corporate and finance, insurance and trust practices to bring the broadest range of expertise to the table.
Our strength lies in understanding the commercial drivers and complexities of the relevant industry and offering the most efficient strategy, whether that is a tried and tested approach or an innovative solution for a special situation. Our restructuring experience covers a wide range of sectors such as banking, funds, telecommunications, insurance and reinsurance, and offshore energy, including publicly listed companies on US, UK, Norwegian and Asian exchanges.
We provide a full suite of transaction and advisory services including:
- Contentious and non-contentious restructurings
- Solvent and insolvent restructurings
- Debt for Equity swaps
- Debtor in Possession (DIP) financing and distressed financing
- US Chapter 11 restructurings and reorganisation plans
- Provisional Liquidations for restructuring purposes
- Solvent and insolvent Schemes of Arrangement
- Merger and amalgamations of companies
- Continuance and discontinuance of companies
- Winding-up, insolvency and bankruptcy proceedings
- Corporate reorganizations
- Recognition and assistance proceedings (including under Chapter 15 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code, section 426 of the UK’s Insolvency Act 1986, the UK’s Cross-Border Insolvency Regulations 2006 and at common law)
- Regulatory advice and representation
- Reduction of insurance contract liabilities
- Voluntary liquidations
- Compulsory or official liquidations
- D&O liabilities & indemnities and D&O insurance advice
- Pensions and employment law advice
- Insurance run-off advice
- Trusts law advice and Court restructuring applications
- Restoration applications
- Capital reduction
- Sanctions applications by liquidators, office-holders, and trustees
- Litigation funding arrangements
Conyers is a Member of INSOL International’s Group of 36, and members of the firm are active in INSOL International and its member associations in Bermuda, the BVI and the Cayman Islands, as well as the International Bar Association and other industry groups.