Kevin C. Butler
Director, Conyers Trust Company (Cayman) Limited
Kevin Butler is a former Partner and previously served as Head of the Cayman Islands office of Conyers. He is currently a Director with Conyers Trust Company (Cayman) Limited. Kevin joined Conyers in 1997 in Bermuda and moved to the Cayman Islands in 2004.
Over his 30-year career, Kevin focused on structuring, formation and management of private equity funds and he represented a broad range of investment managers from the well-established to start-up managers. He also has extensive experience with project financing, aviation finance, mergers and acquisitions, private placements and public offerings. Kevin is well versed in insurance, reinsurance and alternative risk transfer including captives and insurance linked securities.
Kevin is recognized by Chambers Global as an “eminent practitioner.” Clients highlight him as “a highly experienced lawyer who is an accomplished adviser, and is a respected figure in the jurisdiction and well known throughout the market.” Kevin is also ranked in IFRL1000, Who’s Who Legal and Legal 500 Caribbean.
Kevin is a Director of LIFE (Literacy is for Everyone).
- Advised EIG Global Energy Partners with respect to various funds, corporate structures and IPOs.
- Provided advice to Cayman Hotel Holdings Ltd., a subsidiary of Five Mile Capital Partners LLC pertaining to the US$130 million refinancing of the Ritz-Carlton Grand Cayman property.
- Advised Western Digital Corporation on the acquisition of Hitachi Global Storage Technologies, the original credit facility and refinancing of original debt.
- Advised MetLife with respect to creation and redomiciling various captives into and out of the Cayman Islands.
- Advised First Risk Advisors on the incorporation and procurement of a broker licence for PGH Global (Cayman) Limited.
- Advised a large insurance group on licensing issues and the IPO of its parent holding company.
- Advised on the reorganisation of a multi-layered, cross-border fund structure, as well as the restructuring of intra-group lending arrangements.
- Conyers, Bermuda
- Stikeman Elliott, Vancouver
- University of British Columbia, LLB, 1993
- University of Western Ontario, BA Economics, 1987
- Cayman Islands, Attorney-at-Law, 2004
- Bermuda, Attorney-at-Law, 1998
- British Columbia, Attorney-at-Law, 1994 (not currently practising)
Awards & Accolades
- Recognised as an “eminent practitioner” in the 2023 edition (and since 2013) of Chambers Global (corporate and finance)
- Recognised in the 2023 edition of Legal 500 Caribbean (investment funds, corporate and commercial)
- Recognised in the 2022 edition (and since 2010) of IFLR1000 (investment funds, financial and corporate)
- Recognised in the 2021 edition (and since 2017) of Chambers Global (investment funds)
- Recognised in the 2020 edition (and since 2011) of Legal 500 Caribbean (corporate and commercial, insurance/reinsurance and investment funds)
- Recognised in the 2020 edition (and since 2018) of Legal 500 Caribbean (banking, finance and capital markets)
- Recognised in the 2015 edition (and since 2012) of Who’s Who Legal (project finance)
- Recognised in the 2015 edition of Who’s Who Legal (corporate governance)
- Recognised in the 2013 edition (and since 2012) of Who’s Who Legal (insurance and reinsurance)
- Recognised in the 2012 edition of Latin Lawyer 250
- Director, LIFE (Literacy is for Everyone)
- Alternate Director, Cayman Finance
- Cayman Islands Legal Practitioners Association
2022 Corporate Digest: Notable Deals & Transactions
Insurance Bulletin Spring 2021
Insurance Bulletin Spring 2020
Corporate Digest: Notable Deals and Transactions – Winter 2020
Corporate Digest: Notable Deals and Transactions – Autumn 2019
Corporate Digest: Notable Deals and Transactions – Spring 2019
Special report: Offshore – The Cayman Islands – The Lawyer, 21 July 2014
Insights & Resources
Deals & Cases
Nothing found!More Deals & Cases