Nigel Meeson is a Partner and Head of the Asia Disputes & Restructuring Group (“ADRG”) in the Hong Kong office of Conyers Dill & Pearman. The ADRG provides Bermuda, British Virgin Islands and Cayman Islands litigation advice to clients in the Far East; ensuring they have access to fully coordinated litigation advice and services provided by a seamless and comprehensive team across jurisdictions and time zones.
Nigel joined Conyers in 2007 to start the litigation practice in the Cayman Islands which he has developed into one of the leading Cayman litigation practices. His practice focuses on insolvency and restructuring, trust litigation, corporate and shareholder disputes, insurance, asset tracing and international commercial litigation. He also accepts appointments to act as leading counsel, expert witness, arbitrator and mediator.
Prior to joining Conyers, Nigel practiced for almost twenty-five years at the Bar in London as one of London’s top commercial litigators before moving to the Cayman Islands.
Nigel is ranked Band 1 in Chambers Global, with a client noting that he is a “world-class lawyer and one of the finest litigators I have met – he has incredible business sense and a practical mind.”
“Who’s Who Legal notes Nigel as having a “highly sophisticated” practice and that sources report he “always delivers.”
Nigel has authored various books and articles for leading industry publications, including International Corporate Rescue and INSOL International.
- Represented VTB PLC in Cayman aspects of multi-jurisdictional worldwide freezing orders, including decision of Court of Appeal establishing jurisdiction to grant Chabra-type injunction against Cayman companies in support of litigation abroad.
- Acted for RC Cayman Holdings, lender to the companies that owned the Ritz Carlton Grand Cayman Resort against the developer to enforce a personal guarantee when the companies defaulted on their loan.
- Acting for Ernst & Young in relation to claims of auditor negligence and fraud brought against them by the liquidators of Weavering Macro Fixed Income Fund Limited.
- Successfully brought injunctive proceedings regarding the presentation of a winding up petition on the grounds that proceedings should have been brought in South Korea.
- Acting for Avenue Capital in relation to the appointment of provisional liquidators and subsequent restructuring of Ambow Education Holdings a Chinese VIE structure.
- Providing expert evidence in relation to US proceedings concerning Cayman Islands merger transaction.
- Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC), Panel of Arbitrators
- Singapore International Commercial Court (SICC), Registered Lawyer
- Acting Grand Court Justice, Cayman Islands
- Recorder (part-time Judge) in England (Civil & Criminal)
- Participant at the International Symposium on Jurisdiction and Conflict of Laws, Tulane University, USA
- Distinguished Visiting Lecturer, University of Cape Town
- Visiting lecturer, University College London, 1994 – 2005
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb.), 1996
- Accredited Mediator (CEDR), 1993
- Magdalen College, Oxford BA, MA., First Class Honours, Jurisprudence, 1981
- Bermuda, Registered Associate, 2015
- British Virgin Islands, 2008
- Cayman Islands, Attorney-at-Law, 2007
- Queen’s Counsel, 2002
- California, 1990 (not currently practising)
- England & Wales, Barrister, 1982 (not currently practising)