Alecia Johns is Counsel in the Cayman Islands Litigation and Restructuring practice. Alecia’s practice covers a wide range of commercial and civil litigation matters including insolvency proceedings, shareholder disputes, and trust and estate litigation.
Prior to joining the Cayman office, Alecia practiced in the BVI and appeared frequently as lead or junior counsel in a number of civil and commercial matters before the High Court, Commercial Court and Court of Appeal. Her practice included insolvency law, judicial review cases, professional negligence and trust litigation.
She is highly rated and recommended by leading legal directors and has received the following testimonials:
- “Alecia Johns is an exceptionally bright, diligent and proactive associate – and with real strategic and commercial savvy. The irreplaceable hub of any heavy litigation team. I cannot recommend her more highly.” – Legal 500, 2023
- “Alecia Johns is undoubtedly a star in the making and is destined to rise to the very top.” –Legal 500, 2022
- “Alecia Johns: highly capable and very smart, Alecia is the dream associate for tough litigation. She knows everything inside out.” – Legal 500, 2021
Alecia has been invited to speak at a number of academic and practitioner based conferences including the STEP Caribbean Conference and the American Society of Comparative Law Conference.
- Acting for one of the largest banking and financial institutions in the world in trust litigation and successfully set aside the exercise of a trustee’s discretion
- Advising and appearing alongside a leading QC in a complex judicial review matter
- Advising on matters of BVI law as well as drafting of expert evidence for use in US Proceedings concerning a multi-million dollar partnership dispute
- Litigation Associate, O’Neal Webster, British Virgin Islands
- University of Oxford: BCL (2011); M Phil, Law (2012); D Phil, Law (2015)
- Norman Manley Law School: Certificate of Legal Education, 2010 (Valedictorian, Top of the Class)
- The University of the West Indies: LL.B., 2008 – First Class Honours (Top of the Class)
- Awards & Scholarships: Rhodes Scholarship, Bruce Baker Prize for top marks in Civil Procedure (NMLS), Arthur Scholefield Prize for top marks in Law of Succession (NMLS), Time Kendal QC Memorial Prize in the Law of Contract (UWI)
- Attorney-at-Law, Cayman Islands, 2022
- British Virgin Islands, Barrister, 2015
- Jamaica, Attorney-at-law, 2011
Awards & Accolades
- Recognised in the 2024 edition (and since 2019) of The Legal 500 Caribbean (dispute resolution)
- Recognised in the 2020 edition (and 2019) of Global Restructuring Review 100