Richard Hall is a Partner in the Hong Kong Corporate practice. Richard joined Conyers in 2006.
Richard’s practice includes all aspects of corporate law with specialist expertise in corporate finance, including private equity investments and pre-IPO financings, initial public offerings and listings of shares of BVI, Cayman and Bermuda companies on stock exchanges globally, including Hong Kong, Korea, London and the United States of America, mergers and acquisitions, takeovers and privatisations (including by way of statutory merger and scheme of arrangement), restructuring exercises and private equity investment.
Richard acts for corporates, underwriters, sponsors, shareholders or investors in respect of the Bermuda, BVI and Cayman aspects of their transactions globally. Whilst Richard’s IPO practice covers clients across a wide range of industries and locations, the majority of them are headquartered in Hong Kong and with business and operations in Hong Kong and/or the People’s Republic of China and/or other parts of the Asia-Pacific region.
Richard acted as Cayman and BVI counsel on the listing of the share stapled units of HKT Limited, the first Business Trust to be successfully listed on the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited, and subsequently has acted for every other Business Trust that has been successfully listed on the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited.
- Providing Cayman legal advice to Budweiser Brewing Company APAC Limited in respect of the global offering of shares issued by the company, a Cayman incorporated entity, and its listing on the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited.
- Providing Cayman and BVI legal advice in respect of the global offering of share stapled units jointly issued by HK Electric Investments, a HK trust, and HK Electric Investments Limited, a Cayman incorporated entity, and their listing on the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited. The offering is for units in only the third ever Business Trust listed in Hong Kong, and was the third largest IPO on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange at the time.
- Providing Cayman and BVI legal advice to China Metal Resources Utilization Limited in respect of the global offering of shares issued by the company, a Cayman incorporated entity, and its listing on the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited. The Company is the successor to Gushan Environmental Energy Limited (Gushan), a Cayman incorporated company for which Richard has acted for since its incorporation in 2006. Conyers acted on the listing of Gushan on the NYSE in 2008, its privatization by way of merger under the Cayman merger regime in 2012 and, following the distribution of the assets held by Gushan to the Company, the Company’s successful listing on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange in 2014. We understand that this is the first successful re-listing on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange of assets of a company formerly listed on the NYSE and privatised by way of merger under the Cayman merger regime.
- Providing BVI and Cayman legal advice in relation to the establishment of a joint venture between China Resources Enterprise and Tesco and their respective group companies to create a multi-format retailer in China.
- Providing Cayman legal advice to HKT Group Holdings Limited as the guarantor in respect of the bilateral facilities by each of the 11 participating banks to Hong Kong Telecommunications (HKT) Limited in the aggregate amount of HK$11.7 billion.
- Richards Butler, Hong Kong, (as associate and partner)
- Articles, Richards Butler, London
- College of Law Chester, 1995
- University College London, 1993
- Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court (British Virgin Islands), Solicitor, 2012
- Bermuda, Registered Associate, 2005
- Hong Kong, 1998 (not currently practising)
- England & Wales, 1997 (not currently practising)
Awards & Accolades
- Recognised in the 2023 edition (and 2016 and since 2019) of Chambers Asia-Pacific (offshore law)
- Recognised as a leading individual in the 2023 edition (and 2013 and since 2015) of Legal 500 Asia-Pacific (offshore law)
- Recognised as a “Highly Regarded” lawyer in the 2022 edition (and recognised since 2014) of IFLR1000
- Recognised as “The A-List Top 50 Offshore Lawyers 2022” by Asia Business Law Journal
Cayman Islands Company and Commercial Law 2nd Ed 2019 (Sweet & Maxwell) – Contributing Editor
Cayman Islands Company and Commercial Law – (Sweet & Maxwell 2015) – Contributing Editor