Spencer Vickers is Counsel in the Litigation and Restructuring department of the Cayman Islands office of Conyers.
Spencer advises clients on a range of insolvency, restructuring and commercial litigation matters, including cross-border disputes. He has represented multinational corporations, insolvency professionals and banks on a range of complex matters with specific experience in the financial services, insurance, energy and health industries. He has managed a number of complex litigation matters to trial and is an experienced advocate. Spencer appears frequently before the Grand Court of the Cayman Islands as sole counsel and has also appeared before the Court of Appeal of the Cayman Islands. He is adept at managing long-term complex litigation and finding efficient solutions to resolve disputes. In this respect, Spencer also has experience advising clients on alternative dispute resolutions methods, including arbitration.
Prior to joining Conyers, Spencer practiced at a top-tier law firm in New Zealand and appeared several times before the High Court of New Zealand.
Spencer is a member of INSOL International and RISA (the Recovery and Insolvency Specialists Association in the Cayman Islands). In 2022, Spencer was elected to the RISA Board of Directors. Spencer is also an active member of the RISA Education Committee, which he first joined in 2019. Through these roles at RISA, Spencer assists with organising technical training events for RISA’s c. 400 members.
- Advising both creditor and contributory petitioners in relation to the winding up of several Cayman companies, including the appointment of provisional liquidators. Appearing as sole counsel on both contested and non-contested hearings.
- Advising a segregated portfolio company in relation to the receivership of segregated portfolios. Appearing as sole counsel before the Grand Court of the Cayman Islands in relation to such matters.
- Advising liquidators in relation to the winding up of several Cayman companies. Appearing as sole counsel on both contested and non-contested hearings in relation to applications by liquidators to the Grand Court of the Cayman Islands for various orders.
- Acting for a client in respect of the Ocean Rig restructuring, the largest to take place in the Cayman Islands which took place by way of scheme of arrangement.
- Acting for the Public Institution for Social Security, a Kuwaiti pension fund, as petitioning creditor of Abraaj Holdings.
Advising a major US health system on a multi-million dollar shareholder dispute involving a captive insurance company domiciled in Cayman.
- Prior to joining Conyers, advising a retail bank in relation to the restructuring of a large mining company. The restructuring won awards at the New Zealand Law Awards for Capital Markets Deal of the Year and New Zealand Deal of the Year.
- Senior Solicitor, Russell McVeagh, Auckland, New Zealand
- Secondment, Corporate Lawyer, Bank of New Zealand, Auckland, New Zealand
- Keble College, Oxford – South Eastern Circuit Bar Mess Foundation Advanced International Advocacy Course, 2019
- College of Law – Professional Legal Studies Course, 2011
- University of Auckland – LLB and BCom (Finance), 2010
- Attorney-at-Law, Cayman Islands, 2017
- Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand 2011
Awards & Accolades
- Recognised in the 2020 edition (and 2019) of Global Restructuring Review 100
- Recognised in the 2019 edition of Legal 500 Caribbean (dispute resolution)
- INSOL International
- RISA, Cayman Islands (Director and Education Committee) Member Cayman Islands Legal Practitioners Association
News & Insights
Deals & Cases