Manwa Yip is an Associate in the Hong Kong Dispute Resolution practice, currently on secondment to the Cayman Islands office. She joined Conyers in 2021.
Manwa has experience assisting in a number of cross-border insolvency and restructuring matters, including:
- Appealing a winding up order
- Applying for cross-border recognition and assistance
- Obtaining a stay of appointment of provisional liquidators
- Resisting applications for appointment of provisional liquidators
- Seeking leave for promoting a parallel scheme of arrangement
Manwa has also been involved in a wide range of offshore proceedings such as shareholder disputes, enforcement of security, probate applications, information disclosure, etc.
Manwa was seconded to the Cayman Islands office of Conyers for three months in mid-2023. During the secondment period, she gained valuable on-the-ground experience in both litigation and restructuring which she brought back to Asia after. This exposure is proven to be a great value-add in terms of client services.
Manwa has been recognised on the ALB Hong Kong Rising Stars 2023 list by Asian Legal Business as one of Hong Kong’s top 30 next generation lawyers who have demonstrated great potential in the industry, while earning wide acclaim from their clients in the process.
Manwa is fluent in English, Cantonese and Mandarin.
Prior to joining Conyers, Manwa has:
- Acted for a Hong Kong bank which was alleged to have mis-sold insurance policy.
- Acted for a NYSE-listed drilling equipment provider in debt recovery and winding up proceedings against a Hong Kong company.
- Acted for Hong Kong’s telecom and broadcasting regulator in the defense of multiple judicial reviews.
- Defended banks, securities firms and senior management in regulatory investigations by the Hong Kong Securities and Futures Commission and the Hong Kong Monetary Authority.
- Associate, Eversheds Sutherland, Hong Kong
- Associate, Daly & Associates, Hong Kong
- Trainee, Herbert Smith Freehills, Hong Kong
- Oxford University, Master of Public Policy, 2015
- University of Hong Kong, Postgraduate Certificate in Laws, 2014
- University of Hong Kong, Bachelor of Laws (First Class), 2013
- King’s College London, Exchange Programme, 2012
- British Virgin Islands, Solicitor, 2023
- Bermuda, Registered Associate, 2023
- England and Wales, Solicitor, 2022 (not currently practising)
- Hong Kong, Solicitor, 2017 (not currently practising)
Awards & Accolades
- Recognised as “Hong Kong Rising Stars 2023” by Asian Legal Business Magazine
Insights & Resources
Deals & Cases
Enforcement of Judgments