Manwa Yip is an Associate in the Hong Kong office of Conyers. She joined Conyers in 2021.
Manwa has experience assisting in a number of cross-border insolvency and restructuring matters, including:
- Resisting applications for appointment of provisional liquidators
- Obtaining a stay of appointment of provisional liquidators
- Appealing a winding up order
- Seeking leave for promoting a parallel scheme of arrangement
- Applying for cross-border recognition and assistance
Manwa has also been involved in a wide range of offshore proceedings such as shareholder disputes, enforcement of security, probate applications, information disclosure, etc.
Manwa is fluent in English, Cantonese and Mandarin.
Manwa has been recognised on the ALB Hong Kong Rising Stars 2023 list by Asian Legal Business as one of Hong Kong’s top 30 next generation lawyers who have demonstrated great potential in the industry, while earning wide acclaim from their clients in the process.
Prior to joining Conyers, Manwa has:
- Acted for a Hong Kong bank which was alleged to have mis-sold insurance policy.
- Acted for a NYSE-listed drilling equipment provider in debt recovery and winding up proceedings against a Hong Kong company.
- Acted for Hong Kong’s telecom and broadcasting regulator in the defense of multiple judicial reviews.
- Defended banks, securities firms and senior management in regulatory investigations by the Hong Kong Securities and Futures Commission and the Hong Kong Monetary Authority.
- Associate, Eversheds Sutherland, Hong Kong
- Associate, Daly & Associates, Hong Kong
- Trainee, Herbert Smith Freehills, Hong Kong
- Oxford University, Master of Public Policy, 2015
- University of Hong Kong, Postgraduate Certificate in Laws, 2014
- University of Hong Kong, Bachelor of Laws (First Class), 2013
- King’s College London, Exchange Programme, 2012
- British Virgin Islands, Solicitor, 2023
- Bermuda, Registered Associate, 2023
- England and Wales, Solicitor, 2022 (not currently practising)
- Hong Kong, Solicitor, 2017 (not currently practising)
Awards & Accolades
- Recognised as “Hong Kong Rising Stars 2023” by Asian Legal Business Magazine
Insights & Resources
20 Mar 2023 - Capital Markets | Corporate | Dispute Resolution & InsolvencyFour Hong Kong based lawyers recognised by ALB as one of the 30 Rising Stars
Deals & Cases
13 Sep 2021King Bun Limited and Others v. Lau Man Sang, James and Others Claim No. BVIHCM 2017/086
23 Jul 2021Illegality as a defence under Cayman Islands, British Virgin Islands, and Bermuda law: a comparison with English law and Hong Kong law
28 Jun 2021BVI Court of Appeal clarifies key principles for recoverability of costs
25 Mar 2021BVI Court Orders Committal of Judgment Debtor Resident in Hong Kong: An Affirmation of the Commercial Court’s Pro-Enforcement Approach
Enforcement of Judgments