Matthew Brown is an Associate in the Litigation & Restructuring Department of Conyers Dill & Pearman in the British Virgin Islands. Matthew has a broad practice covering all contentious aspects of commercial, trusts and insolvency law.
Between 2012 and 2017, Matthew was a commercial chancery barrister in England and Wales, practising from a nationally-renowned set of chambers in London and Bristol. His practice included commercial, trusts and insolvency work. He was ranked in legal directories as an up and coming leading junior, where he was described as ‘clever and diligent’, and somebody who ‘sees the bigger picture’ and is ‘good with clients’.
Since joining Conyers in 2017 Matthew has been involved in some of the jurisdiction’s leading cases, and has appeared in a number of cases in the Commercial Court. He was ranked in the 2019 edition of Legal 500 as associate to note.
- Acting for two high profile claimants in a high value breach of trust and tracing claim against a trust company and various high profile business/political figures in Ukraine.
- Acting for an estate in relation to multiple BVI proceedings brought against the estate and related companies raising issues of fraud, breach of trust/fiduciary duty, forum non conveniens and issue estoppel.
- Acting for the trustees of a non-BVI trust against (among others) the former BVI trustees of the trust and directors of the companies forming part of the trust fund in relation to substantial claims for breach of trust/fiduciary duty and claims for knowing receipt and dishonest assistance.
- Acting for a shareholder in a significant unfair prejudice claim in respect of the affairs of a company involved in providing telecommunications services in the Middle East.
- Appearing successfully for a BVI company in response to an application to appoint liquidators on the basis of a multi million dollar foreign arbitration award.
- Barrister, Guildhall Chambers, London and Bristol
- University of Oxford, BCL (specialising in Personal Taxation, Corporate Insolvency, Restitution and Civil Procedure) – Distinction
- University of Cardiff, LLB – First Class Honours (ranked 1st in the year group)
- University of the West of England – Bar Professional Training Course – Outstanding (ranked 1st in the year group)
- Awards & Scholarships: Astbury Scholarship, Baron Dr Ver Heyden de Lancey Price, Certificate of Honour (Middle Temple), Faculty of Business and Law Prize (UWE), Sweet & Maxwell Law Prize (Cardiff), The Western Circuit Advocacy Prize (2011)
- British Virgin Islands, Barrister, 2017
- England & Wales, Barrister, 2011 (not currently practising)