Robert Lindley, Counsel, is Head of the Private Client & Trust practice in both the Cayman Islands and the British Virgin Islands offices of Conyers Dill & Pearman.
Robert’s practice covers all aspects of Cayman Islands and British Virgin Islands trust law advice and trust litigation. He regularly advises trustees, beneficiaries, protectors and other office holders on a variety of contentious and non-contentious trust and private client related matters. He has a broad range of experience in estate planning and administration of estate issues for high net worth individuals and families. Robert also advises on the establishment of private trust companies and trust structures in both jurisdictions.
Prior to joining Conyers in 2016, Robert worked in the private client and trust department with another offshore law firm in the Cayman Islands and in the Isle of Man where he Qualified as a Manx Advocate, as well as in the commercial dispute resolution department for a leading firm in the UK.
Robert has authored several chapters for leading industry publications. He is also recognised in The Legal 500 and Chambers High Net Worth guides as a “very hard-working and good litigator” and “very capable, measured and personable,” as well as “very knowledgeable in what he does and calm in his demeanour”. Who’s Who Legal recognises Robert as a “First-Class lawyer” and having a “strong grasp of what matters to the client, allied with a forthright and direct but charming manner”.
- Acted on behalf of numerous trustees and beneficiaries before the Cayman Islands Grand Court in respect of applications for directions and Beddoes-type relief relating to HNW individuals involved in foreign matrimonial proceedings, and also in relation to Court approved variations and rectification applications.
- Represented beneficiaries and trustees in relation to Public Trustee v Cooper applications.
- Represented the trustee in an application to set aside a transfer of assets on the grounds of mistake in Schroder Cayman Bank and Trust Company Limited v Schroder Trust AG (2015)
- Represented the beneficiary of a large Cayman Islands trust in relation to an application to establish the validity of the trust’s administration and obtaining court approval to the appointment of private trust companies.
- Acted for the beneficiaries of a Cayman Islands trust in relation to matters concerning the validity of the removal of the protector company.
- Acted for trustees, beneficiaries, protectors and other office holders on a variety of BVI and Cayman Islands non-contentious trust and private client related matters.
- Appleby, Cayman Islands
- Simcocks, Isle of Man
- Walker Morris, England, UK
- Lancaster University, Master of Science, 2008
- College of Law, Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice, 2000
- College of Law, Postgraduate Diploma in Law, 1998
- University of Edinburgh, Bachelor of Science (Hons), 1997
- Cayman Islands, Attorney-at-law, 2013
- British Virgin Islands, Solicitor, 2012
- England & Wales, Solicitor, 2005 (non-practising)
- Isle of Man, Advocate, 2003