The Bermuda Companies Act contains a consolidated version of the Companies Act 1981, incorporating all amendments to date.
The most recent legislative updates include:
- the addition of the Thailand Stock Exchange to the List of Statutory Appointments, Stock Exchanges, section 2(9) of the Companies Act 1981, effective 7 March 2022
- amendments to the Companies Act 1981 made by the Companies Amendment and Validation Act 2021, where section 2 shall be deemed to have come into effect on 6 May 2020, sections 3 and 4 shall be deemed to have come into effect on 31 May 2021, and any appointment of a stock exchange purportedly made by the Minister of Finance under section 2(9) of the Companies Act 1981 on or after 6 May 2020 is hereby validated
Other recent amendments include:
- consequential amendments to section 132R of the Companies Act 1981 made by the Incorporated Segregated Accounts Companies Amendment Act 2021, operative 22 October 2021
- the addition of Euronext Growth Oslo as an Appointed Stock Exchange under Section 2(9) of the Companies Act 1981, by Government Notice 905 of 2021, dated 7 September 2021
- consequential amendments to the Tenth Schedule of the Companies Act 1981 made by the Gaming (Transfer of Functions) Act 2021, operative 1 August 2021
- amendments to sections 2A, 24B, 135 and 139 made by section 2(2), 2(3), 2(8) and 2(9) of the Companies and Partnerships (Electronic Registry) Amendment Act 2020, operative 31 May 2021 by BR 76/2021.
- amendments to sections 25, 35, 117 and 131 of the Companies Act 1981 made by section 2(4), 2(5), 2(6) and 2(7) of the Companies and Partnerships (Electronic Registry) Amendment Act 2020, operative 5 February 2021 by BR 14/2021
This Compendium does not, however, contain (i) the various forms and filings prescribed by the Act and (ii) The Companies Winding-Up Rules 1982; these are available on request, please contact us.
This compendium is intended for informational purposes only. While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the legislation and related material, and it is believed that the only errors are those contained in the official legislation itself (which errors have been faithfully reproduced), no responsibility is assumed for the content. Reference should be made to the official versions of the legislation for an authoritative statement of the law and any subsequent amendments. Nothing in this compendium is to be considered as creating an attorney-client relationship or indeed any contractual relationship or as rendering legal or professional advice for any specific matter. Readers are responsible for obtaining such advice from their own legal counsel. No client or reader should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content within this document without first obtaining matter-specific legal and/or professional advice. Conyers accepts no responsibility for any loss or damage, howsoever incurred, which may result from accessing or reliance on this content.
Conyers Dill & Pearman
Revised: March 2022