Catherine Wong is an Associate in the Hong Kong Dispute Resolution practice. Her practice focuses on handling high-value complex shareholders’ disputes, derivative actions, winding up proceedings, insolvency and restructuring matters, private wealth and trust disputes, contractual disputes, and cross-border fraud and asset tracing matters.
She also has experience in acting in international construction arbitrations and Competition Commission enforcement actions, and advising on compliance matters, including anti-corruption and bribery, anti-money laundering, cybersecurity and data protection, electronic data preservation and retention, whistleblower compliance and employment law matters.
Catherine has been recognised on the “Hong Kong Rising Stars 2023” list by Asian Legal Business as one of Hong Kong’s top 30 next generation lawyers who have demonstrated great potential in the industry, while earning wide acclaim from clients.
Catherine regularly publishes articles in international law journals and frequently delivers presentations on contemporary topics and advise on pro bono matters. Catherine currently serves as a committee member in Law Society of Hong Kong’s Pro Bono Committee, Pro Bono and Community Work Recognition Committee and the Law Week Organising Committee, and have previously served as committee member in Law Society of Hong Kong’s Young Solicitors’ Group.
Additionally, Catherine has been admitted as member of various professional organisations, including INSOL International, Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP), Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Hong Kong Institute of Arbitrators, Hong Kong Mediation and Arbitration Centre and Hong Kong Mediation Centre.
- Acted for a group of minority shareholders of a pharmaceutical company in a BVI derivative action against the company’s Hong Kong based directors for damages caused to the company, as a result of an alleged grossly undervalued sale of its assets to its majority shareholder.
- Acted for a BVI company holding a business aircraft in opposing to the continuation of a freezing order and payment into Court of US$4 million.
- Acted for a BVI company in discharging a freezing injunction and opposing a rectification claim concerning a loan agreement and a deed of share charge entered into between the applicant and the former sole director of client pursuant to HK$200 million borrowed by the then sole director.
- Acted for a beneficiary of the estate of a deceased businessman who was the founder of one of the largest polystyrene specialist and manufacturer in the world in an application to appoint independent administrators in Asia and in the BVI over the estate in place of the beneficiary’s mother.
- Acted for an international leading provider of corporate trust and agency services in defending claims filed in Bermuda involving an alleged breach of duty as chargee relating to a US$250 million pre-export finance facility agreement and two share charges in satisfaction of conditions precedent set out in the agreement, as well as alleged unlawful means conspiracy.
- Acted in various Hong Kong High Court proceedings for a co-executor of a multi-billion-dollar estate of a prominent tycoon and well-known philanthropist.
- Acted for a Hong Kong listed recycling company in defending claims and pursuing counterclaims arising from a restructuring of pre-listing inter-company debts of a former Dutch-China joint venture.
- Acted for a Hong Kong listed recycling company and its operating subsidiary in defending claims filed in Hong Kong and the Netherlands involving an alleged breach of a best endeavours undertaking relating to a convertible bond and alleged unpaid pre-listing loan.
- Acted for a Hong Kong information technology company alleged to have engaged in bid rigging in a tender related to the supply and installation of a new IT server system.
Insolvency / restructuring
- Acted for a Hong Kong listed company engaged in property development, investment and management activities in making applications for appointment of “soft touch” provisional liquidators in Bermuda for the group’s intended debt restructuring.
- Acted for three BVI companies in opposing to an application made by a purported PRC judgment creditor to appoint joint liquidators to the BVI companies.
- Acted for a Hong Kong listed company engaged in forestry management and biomass fuel business in respect of its debt restructuring involving appointment of soft touch provisional liquidators in the Cayman Islands.
- Acted for a crypto derivatives exchange platform incorporated in the Cayman Islands in relation to debt and liquidity issues, including advising on voidable transactions and directors’ duties during insolvency.
- Acted on behalf of a BVI incorporated investment company in relation to a statutory demand issued against the company and in proceedings in the High Court of BVI for enforcement of an arbitral award against the company.
- Advised a BVI incorporated venture capital company in relation to winding up proceedings in the High Court of the BVI concerning a US$14.8 million debt and the company’s intended debt restructuring.
- Advised the board of directors of a Cayman Islands incorporated processing and trading company on corporate governance issues, including the power of the board and the delegation of its powers.
- Advised an SFC licensed asset manager, which is one of several minority shareholders of a Cayman Islands incorporated company which also has a nominated director on the Cayman Islands company’s board, on the feasibility to pursue a restructuring with the assistance of a Cayman court appointed restructuring officer, as some facilities extended to the operating subsidiaries are in default. The scope of advice included directors’ duties, the global moratorium, as well as the responsibilities and powers of the restructuring officer candidates and liquidators.
- Assisted various companies / partnerships / funds / unit trusts in their audit waiver, CIMA de-registration, voluntary liquidation / dissolution processes in the BVI and the Cayman Islands.
Enforcement and recognition
- Acted for a leading Chinese financial investment services company in relation to the recognition and enforcement of a Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre arbitral award in the Cayman Islands.
- Acted in an SIAC arbitration for a construction and engineering group concerning the continuous revision of programs and quality of work arising out of the sub-subcontract for the delivery of steel for a large-scale construction project in Sydney.
- Acted in a HKIAC arbitration for a construction company in Hong Kong concerning the continuous changing of construction designs and quality of work and progress for a project in relation to the conversion of a block of flats into serviced apartments.
Advisory / compliance
- Acted for a substantial shareholder of a publicly listed international fashion company on its requisition requesting the listed company’s board of directors to convene a special general meeting for the shareholders to consider and vote on its proposed resolutions, and in relation to the management of the company’s assets, business and affairs.
- Acted for a publicly listed international fashion company in relation to a joint venture agreement entered into between an indirectly wholly-owned subsidiary of the listed company and another listed company in Hong Kong.
- Acted for a Chinese leading multinational technology company on drafting compliance policies and procedures covering a broad range of regulatory topics, including data privacy and protection, intellectual property, import and export restrictions, sanctions, anti-money laundering, anti-bribery and corruption, and competition.
- Acted for a European state-owned transport operator in drafting an international Code of Business Conduct in compliance with competition, corruption and fraud laws / regulations in Hong Kong.
- Acted for a German semiconductor manufacturer in relation to two new long-term incentive plans, covering regulatory and filing requirements in Hong Kong.
- Acted for a global online food ordering and delivery company listed on the Frankfurt stock exchange in relation to an employee share purchase plan, covering regulatory and filing requirements in Hong Kong, employment law and data protection considerations.
- Advised major banks and large multinational companies on corruption, money laundering and counter-financing of terrorism issues.
- Associate, EY Law, Hong Kong
- Associate, Allen & Overy, Hong Kong
- Trainee Solicitor, Norton Rose Fulbright, Hong Kong
- Chinese University of Hong Kong, PCLL, 2016
- London School of Economics and Political Science, LLB, 2015
- British Virgin Islands, Solicitor, 2023
- Bermuda, Registered Associate, 2023
- England and Wales, Solicitor, 2022 (not currently practising)
- Hong Kong, Solicitor, 2019 (not currently practising)
Awards & Accolades
- Recognised as “Hong Kong Rising Star 2023” by Asian Legal Business
- Individual Gold Award issued by the Law Society of Hong Kong under the Pro Bono and Community Work Recognition Programme, 2021 (and since 2020)
- Grand Leadership Award issued by the Law Society of Hong Kong, the Hong Kong Council of Volunteering and Agency for Volunteer under the Professional Volunteer Service Accreditation Recognition Programme, 2021 (and since 2019)
- Special Award issued by the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region under the Recognition Scheme for Provision of Pro Bono Legal Services, 2022 (and since 2018)
- Certified Affiliate Member, Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP)
- Certified Member, International Women’s Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation (IWIRC)
- Certified Member, INSOL International
- Certified Associate Member, Hong Kong Institute of Arbitrators
- Certified Member, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Certified Associate Member, Hong Kong Mediation Centre
- Certified Member, Hong Kong Mediation and Arbitration Centre
- Elected Committee Member, Pro Bono Committee, Law Society of Hong Kong
- Elected Committee Member, Pro Bono and Community Work Recognition Committee, Law Society of Hong Kong
- Elected Committee Member, Law Week Organising Committee, Law Society of Hong Kong
- Recoverability of foreign lawyers’ fees for winning litigants, Author
- Offshore Trust and Estate Litigation Update Series – Part II – BVI: In the Matter of the Estate of Sheikh Saoud Mohamed Al Thani – BVIHCVAP 2021/0001, Author
- Offshore Trust and Estate Litigation Update Series – Part I – Cayman Islands: In the Matter of The X Trust and The Y Trust – FSD 57 of 2022 (IKJ), Author
- Directors: “What shall we do?” – Interplay between the Sequana decision, HSBC v NewOcean Energy Holdings Ltd and the new Cayman restructuring regime, Author
- BVI Shareholders disputes in the context of a feuding family, Author