Catherine Wong is Legal Manager in the Hong Kong Office of Conyers. Her practice focuses on handling high-value complex shareholders’ disputes, derivative actions, winding up proceedings, insolvency and restructuring matters, private wealth and trust disputes, contractual disputes, and cross-border fraud and asset tracing matters. She also has experience in acting in international construction arbitrations and Competition Commission enforcement actions, and advising on compliance matters, including anti-corruption and bribery, anti-money laundering, cybersecurity and data protection, electronic data preservation and retention, whistleblower compliance and employment law matters.
Catherine regularly publishes articles in international law journals and frequently delivers presentations on contemporary topics and advise on pro bono matters. Additionally, Catherine has been admitted as member of various professional turnaround and insolvency and alternative dispute resolution organisations, including INSOL International, the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, the Hong Kong Institute of Arbitrators, the Hong Kong Mediation and Arbitration Centre and the Hong Kong Mediation Centre.
Catherine currently serves as a committee member in Law Society of Hong Kong’s Pro Bono Committee, Pro Bono and Community Work Recognition Committee and the Law Week Organising Committee, and have previously served as committee member in Law Society of Hong Kong’s Young Solicitors’ Group.
- Acted for a Hong Kong listed recycling company in defending claims and pursuing counterclaims arising from a restructuring of pre-listing inter-company debts of a former Dutch-China joint venture.
- Acted for a Hong Kong listed recycling company and its operating subsidiary in defending claims filed in Hong Kong and the Netherlands involving an alleged breach of a best endeavours undertaking relating to a convertible bond and alleged unpaid pre-listing loan.
- Acted for a Hong Kong listed recycling company and its operating subsidiary relating to an alleged cyber fraud.
- Acted for a supply chain solutions company in a complex cross border civil litigation arising from an alleged fraud in relation to the purchase of medical masks for supply.
- Acted for an individual in pursuing claims for wrongful termination of her employment contract without notice and/or proper grounds and breach of implied term of trust and confidence.
- Acted for an individual client in pursuing a sexual harassment claim and in challenging the efficacy of the sexual harassment policies and procedures.
- Acted for an information technology company alleged to have engaged in bid rigging in a tender related to the supply and installation of a new IT server system.
- Acted for a Hong Kong listed company engaged in the construction and property development business in a dispute concerning the validity of a written sale and purchase agreement and the alleged wrongful termination of a proposed transaction.
- Acted in various Hong Kong High Court proceedings for a co-executor of a multi-billion-dollar estate of a prominent tycoon and well-known philanthropist.
- Acted in an SIAC arbitration for a construction and engineering group concerning the continuous revision of programs and quality of work arising out of the sub-subcontract for the delivery of steel for a large-scale construction project in Sydney.
- Acted in a HKIAC arbitration for a construction company in Hong Kong concerning the continuous changing of construction designs and quality of work and progress for a project in relation to the conversion of a block of flats into serviced apartments.
Advisory / compliance
- Acted for a substantial shareholder of a publicly listed international fashion company on its requisition requesting the listed company’s board of directors to convene a special general meeting for the shareholders to consider and vote on its proposed resolutions, and in relation to the management of the company’s assets, business and affairs.
- Acted for a publicly listed international fashion company in relation to a joint venture agreement entered into between an indirectly wholly-owned subsidiary of the listed company and another listed company in Hong Kong.
- Acted for a Chinese leading multinational technology company on drafting compliance policies and procedures covering a broad range of regulatory topics, including data privacy and protection, intellectual property, import and export restrictions, sanctions, anti-money laundering, anti-bribery and corruption, and competition.
- Acted for a European state-owned transport operator in drafting an international Code of Business Conduct in compliance with competition, corruption and fraud laws / regulations in Hong Kong.
- Acted for a Chinese food company in applying to the Companies Register for the restoration of its Hong Kong parent company pursuant to Sections 760 and 761 of the Companies Ordinance.
- Acted for a German semiconductor manufacturer in relation to two new long-term incentive plans, covering regulatory and filing requirements in Hong Kong.
- Acted for a global online food ordering and delivery company listed on the Frankfurt stock exchange in relation to an employee share purchase plan, covering regulatory and filing requirements in Hong Kong, employment law and data protection considerations.
- Advised a manufacturer and marketer of heavy-duty, portable electric power tools and accessories for professional users on product liability issues.
- Advised major banks and large multinational companies on corruption, money laundering and counter-financing of terrorism issues.
- Associate, EY Law, Hong Kong
- Associate, Allen & Overy, Hong Kong
- Trainee Solicitor, Norton Rose Fulbright, Hong Kong
- Chinese University of Hong Kong, PCLL, 2016
- London School of Economics and Political Science, LLB, 2015
- Hong Kong, Solicitor, 2019
Awards & Accolades
- Individual Gold Award issued by the Law Society of Hong Kong under the Pro Bono and Community Work Recognition Programme, 2020 and 2021
- Grand Leadership Award issued by the Law Society of Hong Kong, the Hong Kong Council of Volunteering and Agency for Volunteer under the Professional Volunteer Service Accreditation Recognition Programme, 2019, 2020 and 2021
- Special Award issued by the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region under the Recognition Scheme for Provision of Pro Bono Legal Services, 2018, 2019 and 2020
- Certified Member, INSOL International
- Certified Associate Member, Hong Kong Institute of Arbitrators
- Certified Member, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Certified Associate Member, Hong Kong Mediation Centre
- Certified Member, Hong Kong Mediation and Arbitration Centre
- Elected Committee Member, Pro Bono Committee, Law Society of Hong Kong
- Elected Committee Member, Pro Bono and Community Work Recognition Committee, Law Society of Hong Kong
- Elected Committee Member, Law Week Organising Committee, Law Society of Hong Kong
News & Insights
Deals & Cases