Jason Piney is a Director in the Corporate department in the Bermuda office of Conyers. Jason joined Conyers in 2005 and became a Director in 2012.
Jason’s practice covers general corporate and commercial matters with particular focus on public companies, securities and financing. Jason has extensive experience in a wide variety of international asset finance and corporate transactions, including debt and equity offerings, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and cross-border financings. Jason has particular expertise in financings involving aircraft, including aircraft acquisitions and dispositions, aircraft portfolio securitizations, sale-leasebacks, pre-delivery payment and warehouse facilities and he has worked on several of the most significant aircraft securitizations and financings in the market.
Jason is recognized by Legal 500 Caribbean (corporate and commercial), by Who’s Who Legal (aviation/transport) and by Chambers Global (corporate and finance).
- Advised group of ad hoc lenders on Bermuda law in connection with McDermott International’s cross-border restructuring and chapter 11 cases (“Restructuring Deal of the Year” - 2021 IFLR Americas Award)
- Advised Moody’s Corporation on the Bermuda law aspects of its agreement to acquire RMS for approximately US$2 billion from Daily Mail and General Trust plc
- Provided Bermuda law advice to Goldman Sachs, in connection with Aldus Aviation’s US$540 million asset backed secured term loans for ATLAS 2014-1 Limited and ATLAS 2014-1 LLC to fund the acquisition of 30 Embraer aircraft from Aldus.
- Provided Bermuda law advice to Castlelake, L.P. in connection with its US$713 million aircraft securitization, Castlelake Aircraft Securitization Trust 2015-1 (CLAS 2015-1) backed by 54 aircraft and six aircraft engines and in connection with Castlelake’s initial aircraft ABS deal Castlelake Aircraft Securitization Trust 2014-1, a US$515.6 million securitization.
- Provided Bermuda law advice to Castlelake, an institutional alternative investment firm, specialising in aircraft in connection with its US$515.6 million aircraft securitization, Castlelake Securitization Trust 2014-1. The proceeds from the deal will be used to purchase a fleet of 79 aircraft and associated aircraft-owning entities that are initially leased to 26 lessees located in 17 countries. Castlelake will remain as the servicer on the deal.
- Provided Bermuda and Cayman legal advice to AerCap Holdings N.V. ("AerCap") (NYSE: AER) in connection with its acquisition of International Lease Finance Corporation ("ILFC") from American International Group, Inc. ("AIG") (NYSE: AIG).
- Represented SeaCube Container Leasing Ltd. (“SeaCube”) (NYSE:BOX), a Bermuda company, in connection with the acquisition of SeaCube by Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan (“Teachers'”) by way of amalgamation following approval of the transaction by the shareholders of SeaCube.
- Provided Bermuda legal advice to Bank of America, N.A. in connection with a US$3.1 billion sale and repurchase agreement related to the US$10.5 billion acquisition by Amgen Inc. of Onyx Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Advised Bacardi Limited, a Bermuda company, on the offering of €650,000,000 principal amount of its 2.75% Notes due 2023, which completed on 3 July 2013. The Notes are fully and unconditionally guaranteed by Bacardi-Martini B.V., Bacardi Corp., and Bacardi U.S.A. Inc.
- Covington & Burling, London
- Ashurst, London & France
- College of Law, Legal Practice Course, UK, 1997
- University College London, LLB Law with French Law, 1996
- Bermuda, Barrister and Attorney, 2006
- England and Wales in 2000 (not currently practising)
Awards & Accolades
- Recognised as a Global Leader in Who’s Who Legal (Transport – Aviation Finance 2022)
Recognised in the 2023 edition (and since 2013) of Chambers Global (corporate and finance)
Recognised in the 2023 edition (and 2017, 2016) of Legal 500 Caribbean (corporate and commercial)
- Recognised in the 2023 edition of Legal 500 Caribbean (banking, finance and capital markets)
- Recognised in the 2021 edition (and 2018) of IFLR1000 (financial and corporate)
- Recognised in the 2020 edition (and since 2013) of Who's Who Legal (Transport - Aviation (Finance))
- Recognised in the 2017 edition of Expert Guides (aviation)
- Recognised in the 2012 edition of Latin Lawyer 250
- Recognised as a "rising star" in the 2011 edition of AirFinance Journal (aviation)