Jerry Samuel is a Partner in the British Virgin Islands Litigation and Restructuring practice. He joined Conyers in 2008.
Jerry specializes in commercial litigation in the areas of insolvency, urgent interim relief, shareholder disputes, enforcement of judgments and asset tracing. He regularly works with other international firms on various types of cross-border disputes advising shareholders, directors, financial institutions and insolvency practitioners.
Jerry regularly appears as an advocate before the BVI Commercial Court and the Eastern Caribbean Court of Appeal. He is a Member of the Restructuring and Insolvency Specialists Association and the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
- Recently acted for minority shareholders who successfully brought a high value derivative action that found directors liable for breaches of various fiduciary and statutory duties in committing a fraud on the minority.
- Acted for a major South East Asian mining group in attempts to secure disclosure relief on an ex parte basis.
- Acted on numerous occasions for large financial institutions to enforce judgements and secure injunctive relief on an urgent ex parte basis.
- Acted for a German-listed company in the longest running Commercial Court trial experienced in the BVI concerning shareholder relief and unfair prejudice.
- Litigation Associate, Walkers, BVI
- Cardiff Law School – Centre for Professional Legal Studies, Bar Vocational Course (2005)
- Cardiff University Law School, LLB (2004)
- Carleton University, M.A. (Hons) Political Economy (2000)
- Florida A&M University, B.S. (Hons) Business Economics (1995)
- Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court (Virgin Islands), 2005
- England & Wales, 2005 (not currently practicing)
Awards & Accolades
- Recognised in the 2024 edition (and 2012-2021) of Legal 500 Caribbean (dispute resolution)
- Recognised in the 2020 edition (and 2019) of Global Restructuring Review 100
- Recognised in the 2018 (and 2017) edition of Who’s Who Legal (asset recovery)
- Member, BVI Bar Association
- Member, Restructuring and Insolvency Specialists Association (BVI)
- Member, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Member, Judicial and Legal Services Commission