Paul Scrivener is an independent consultant to the Cayman Islands Corporate practice. He is an acknowledged expert in insurance and reinsurance where he has a particular focus on captive insurance. He was formerly a senior partner and head of insurance at another Cayman Islands law firm that he joined as a partner in 1998. Prior to that Paul was a partner with Eversheds in the UK where he handled a wide range of corporate work.
Paul works with a wide array of insurers, reinsurers, captive owners, insurance managers and insurance consultants. His advice includes the formation, restructuring and liquidation of insurance and reinsurance entities and the review or preparation of constitutional documents, shareholder agreements, participation agreements, information memoranda, reinsurance agreements, letters of credit, loss portfolio transfers and commutation agreements. He has particular expertise in relation to cell companies and portfolio insurance companies and has been involved in many insurance mergers and redomestications.
Paul has been a speaker at many international insurance conferences and a regular contributor to industry publications. He has been actively involved in the Cayman insurance sector sitting on various committees including the Cayman Islands Financial Services Legislative Committee, a public/private sector committee tasked with keeping Cayman Islands financial services legislation under review. Paul was instrumental in developing Cayman’s cutting edge Portfolio Insurance Company structure and assisting government with implementing the legislation. He has been consistently ranked for many years by Chambers Global and Legal 500 and has been described by Chambers Global as “an outstanding, extraordinarily responsive lawyer whom clients consider to be approachable, knowledgeable and a pleasure to work with.”
- Advising on a “physical presence” redomestication of a substantial open market reinsurer to the Cayman Islands from another jurisdiction.
- Acting for a large US healthcare system on the tripartite merger of its two Cayman Islands captives with a District of Columbia insurer.
- Advising a Cayman cell company reinsurer on the novation of two of its programs to another Cayman cell company reinsurer followed by its redomestication to a US State.
- Partner and Head of Corporate and latterly Independent Consultant, Solomon Harris (now Bedell Cristin), 1998 – 2019
- Partner, Eversheds in the United Kingdom, 1986 – 1998
- Cambridge University, MA (Law), 1983
- England and Wales, 1986
- Cayman Islands, 1998
Awards & Accolades
- For more than fifteen years Paul has been consistently ranked in Chambers Global, The Legal 500 Caribbean and/or IFLR1000 as a ranked or leading lawyer for insurance, investment funds or corporate work.
- Law Society of England and Wales
- Cayman Islands Legal Practitioners Association