David Stubbs is Counsel in the Bermuda Corporate practice. He joined Conyers in 2017. David’s practice consists of a broad range of corporate and finance matters, including bond issues, private placements, IPOs, mergers and acquisitions, corporate insolvencies and restructurings. David also leads Conyers’ listing sponsorship team in Bermuda, assisting issuers of securities on the Bermuda Stock Exchange.
Prior to joining Conyers in 2017, David practiced with both Dewey & LeBoeuf LLP and Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP, where he acted in a broad range of finance matters, including secondments to Deutsche Bank in 2011, the Principal Investments team at HSBC in 2014 and Eurasian Resources Group in 2016.
- Advised CMA CGM in a consent solicitation and $253 million cash tender offer relating to corporate asset backed secured notes.
- Seven month secondment in 2014 to the Principal Investments team at HSBC, advising in relation to the treatment of covered funds under the Volcker Rule.
- Advised Citigroup Global Markets Limited in several liability management exercises of Citigroup Inc.
- Advised GoldenTree Asset Management in connection with the recapitalisation and €200 million equity capital raise of Bank für Arbeit und Wirtschaft und Österreichische Postsparkasse AG (**BAWAG**). The transaction took the form of a €215 million cash common equity offering subscribed by existing BAWAG shareholders and lenders, and the exchange of more than €3.5 billion of loans into common equity of BAWAG’s indirect holding company.
- Associate, Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP, London
- Trainee & Associate, Dewey & LeBoeuf LLP, London and Moscow
- Inns of Court School of Law, London, England, Legal Practice Course (Distinction), 2006
- University of Buckingham, LLB (Hons), 2005
- Brown University, Rhode Island, BA (International Relations and Russian), 1990
- Bermuda, Attorney-at-Law, 2017
- England & Wales, Solicitor, 2008
Awards & Accolades
- Recognised in the 2021 edition of Legal 500 Caribbean (corporate and commercial)
November 2015 article in IFLR on the proposed EU Securitisation Regulation: “Practice what you preach”