Jeffrey Elkinson is a Director in the Litigation & Insolvency department in the Bermuda office of Conyers Dill & Pearman. Jeffrey joined Conyers in 1988.
Jeffrey’s practice includes Commercial Litigation and Arbitration in the area of contentious trusts, insurance and re-insurance, and construction with particular specialization in administrative law and telecommunications and energy.
He is an active arbitrator, mediator and counsel in domestic and international disputes with appointments from ICC, LCIA and CIArb and, in respect of domain names, HKIAC/ADNDRC. With true international experience, Jeffrey has audience rights in numerous jurisdictions and is also active on a pro-bono basis as course director and tutor for the CIArb.
Jeffrey is the chairman of the Professional Conduct Committee and the Police Complaints Authority for Bermuda and is a door tenant of Des Voeux Chambers, Hong Kong. He acts as an Assistant Judge of the Supreme Court of Bermuda. He is a Special Assistant Attorney General for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Jeffrey is a regular speaker at global industry events and is a contributor and co-author of the Bermuda chapter of the ICAA Handbook, World Arbitration Reporter, Spitz’ Tax Havens of the World, Butterworths Offshore Cases and Materials and Offshore Commercial Law in Bermuda.
Jeffrey is recognized as a leading dispute resolution lawyer by Chambers Global. Legal 500, Legal Week’s The Private Client Global Elite and Who’s Who Legal.
- Counsel in the Megafon litigation and arbitrations
- Counsel in the Thyssen-Bornemisza litigation
- Counsel in numerous trust restructuring matters for high net worth individuals
- Acting for the Bermuda Government and the Treaty Unit of the Ministry of Finance in contentious matters
- Counsel for the Bermuda Monetary Authority in contentious litigation.
- Counsel for Butterfield Trust Company Limited and Bank of N.T. Butterfield & Son Ltd.
- Counsel for American Airlines, British Airways
- Counsel for a major local telecom entity in regulatory issues
- Appointed as Amicus Curiae by Bermuda Court of Appeal in relation to statutory interpretation on TIEA legislation.
- Barrister, Irish Bar
- Counsel, Attorney General’s Chambers Hong Kong
- Counsel, Hong Kong Bar
- Member, Des Voeux Chambers
- Trinity College, Dublin, B.A.(mod), LLB, M.A.
- Kings’ Inns, Dublin BL
- Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court, 2002
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, 2001
- United States Court of International Trade, 2001
- Bermuda, 1989
- New York, 1987
- New South Wales, 1986
- Hong Kong, 1985
- England & Wales, 1981
- Ireland, 1978
Awards & Accolades
- Recognised in the 2023 edition (and since 2010) of Chambers Global (dispute resolution)
- Recognised in the 2023 edition (and since 2011) of Legal 500 Caribbean (dispute resolution)
- Recognised in the 2022 edition (and since 2011) of Who’s Who Legal Arbitration
- Recognised in the 2021 edition of Who’s Who Legal (Private Client)
- Recognised in Legal Week’s The Private Client Global Elite 2017
- Chartered Arbitrator and Mediator
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Past President, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, 2012
- Founder and Branch Chairman, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Course Director and Tutor. Diploma and Members’ Courses of Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Member of IBA, ABA and ICCA
- Trust and Estates Practitioner (STEP)
- Door Tenant, Des Voeux Chambers, HK
- Fellow and Certified Arbitrator AIADR, Asian Institute of Alternative Dispute Resolution
Bermuda chapter, World Arbitration Reporter
Bermuda chapter, Butterworths Offshore Cases and Materials
Offshore Commercial Law in Bermuda Bermuda chapter, ICCA Arbitration Handbook
News & Insights
Deals & Cases