Director, Head of Singapore office
Preetha Pillai is a Director and head of the Singapore office of Conyers.
Preetha undertakes a broad range of corporate and securities law work involving Bermuda, the British Virgin Islands and Cayman Islands law, such as mergers, acquisitions and disposals, joint ventures and direct investments, privatisations and de-listings, equity and debt issues, initial public offerings and stock exchange listings, financings, capital reductions and general corporate advisory and listed company work. She is also a part of the firm’s funds team in Singapore, assisting clients with setting up and restructuring mutual and private equity funds, fund management and licensing/exemption applications under the relevant securities regulations for financial intermediaries, and advising on compliance requirements.
The clients she works with include Singapore and regional clients, publicly-listed and private companies, banks and financial institutions, venture capital funds and investment managers/advisers, small and medium enterprises, and private individuals.
- Provided Bermuda legal advice in connection with the privatization of GL Limited.
- Provided Cayman Islands legal advice to the first SPAC listed on the Singapore Exchange Securities Trading Limited to be backed by international sponsors.
- Provided BVI legal advice in connection with various private M&A transactions involving BVI target companies.
- Assistant General Counsel, Singapore Telecommunications Limited
- Partner, Corporate and securities law, Ang & Partners, Singapore
- Partner, Corporate and securities law, Khattar Wong & Partners, Singapore
- King’s College, University of London, LLM (Commercial and Corporate Law), 1991
- University of Reading, LLB, 1989
- British Virgin Islands, Solicitor, 2009
- Cayman Islands, Attorney-at-Law, 2009
- Bermuda, 2006
- England & Wales, Solicitor, 2000 (not currently practising)
- Singapore, Advocate & Solicitor, 1993 (not currently practising)
- England & Wales, Barrister, 1990 (not currently practising)
Awards & Accolades
- Recognised by Best Lawyers 2024 (and since 2017) for her work in Corporate Law, Mutual Funds, Private Equity Law and Private Funds
- Recognised by Best Lawyers 2023 as “Lawyer of the Year” in Private Equity Law in Singapore (the only lawyer recognised in this practice area)
- Recognised in the 2021 edition of Who’s Who Legal Southeast Asia guide (private funds)
- Recognised in the 2020 edition (and since 2018) of Who’s Who Legal (private funds)
- Member, Honourable Society of the Middle Temple
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Cayman Islands Law Society
- Cayman Islands Legal Practitioners Association
2022 Corporate Digest: Notable Deals and Transactions
Electronic signatures and virtual meetings — the Bermuda, British Virgin Islands and Cayman Islands legal framework, Asia-Mena Counsel magazine Volume 17 Issue 8, September 2020
Corporate Digest: Notable Deals and Transactions – Winter 2020
Corporate Digest: Notable Deals and Transactions – Autumn 2019
Corporate Digest: Notable Deals and Transactions – Spring 2019