Ben Mellett is an associate in the Litigation and Restructuring Department of Conyers in the British Virgin Islands. His practice covers a broad range of international dispute resolution, comprising a mixture of litigation (before the BVI, English, DIFC and ADGM Courts) and international arbitration (BVI IAC, LCIA, DIFC-LCIA, ICC, DIAC and UNCITRAL arbitrations).
Ben joined Conyers in January 2022 from Norton Rose Fulbright LLP, where he trained in London and Singapore from 2013 to 2015 and subsequently practiced as a solicitor in London and Dubai from 2015 to 2021.
Ben advises on complex, cross-border commercial disputes with a particular focus on shareholder and contractual disputes. Ben’s practice often deals with questions of jurisdiction and applications for emergency interim relief.
- Represented the majority shareholder in an UNCITRAL arbitration concerning a copper mine in Africa. The dispute included allegations of unfair prejudice, breaches of the Shareholders’ Agreement and an application before the local courts to wind-up on the joint venture company on the just and equitable ground.
- Acted for the owner of a 5* hotel in respect its claim against the hotel operator following the termination of the Hotel Management Agreement.
- Represented an international hotel operator on a complex, cross-border dispute against the hotel owner. The matter included the landmark DIFC Court judgment (YYY Limited v ZZZ Limited [DIFC] 2017 ARB 005) in which the DIFC Court considered questions of jurisdiction, res judicata and the New York Convention.
- Acted for an Abu Dhabi based property development company in its ICC arbitration claim seated in ADGM. This matter involved an application for declaratory relief before the ADGM Courts on the issue of jurisdiction. The case of A3 v B3  ADGMCFI 0004 is notable for being the first time that a Unilateral Option Clause has been upheld by the ADGM Court.
- Ben spent eight months on secondment with the litigation department of a major UK bank. He was responsible for defending numerous claims in the English High Court in respect of the alleged mis-sale of Interest Rate Hedging Products.
- Senior Associate, Norton Rose Fulbright LLP, Dubai, UAE
- Associate, Norton Rose Fulbright LLP, London, UK
- Trainee Solicitor, Norton Rose Fulbright LLP, London, UK
- Oxford University, Postgraduate Diploma in IP Law and Practice, 2017
- BPP Law School, Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice, 2013
- Durham University, Bachelor of Laws (LLB), 2012
- England and Wales, Solicitor, 2015
News & Insights
Deals & Cases