Edward Rance is a Director in the Corporate department of Conyers Dill & Pearman. He joined Conyers in 2016. Edward’s practice consists of a broad range of corporate and finance matters, including in and out of court insolvencies and restructurings. Edward also advises ultra-high net worth individuals on offshore holding structures.
Prior to joining Conyers, Edward practised with Allen & Overy LLP and Milbank Tweed Hadley and McCloy, with a particular emphasis on advising financial institutions and investment funds in relation to publically traded securities and the distressed debt market.
- Advised Liberty Latin America on their $4 billion split-off and demerger from Liberty Global plc, and their subsequent listing and launch on NASDAQAdvised Acted as special Bermuda counsel to The Bank of N.T Butterfield & Son Limited in connection with its US$287.5 million initial public offering on the New York Stock Exchange and subsequent US$349 million secondary offering.
- Advised Textainer Group Holdings Limited (NYSE: TGH) (“Textainer”), the world’s largest lessor of intermodal containers based on fleet size, on numerous credit/loan facilities and asset-backed note securitization (“ABS”) transactions, most recently the issuance by Textainer Marine Containers V Limited (an indirect, wholly-owned subsidiary of Textainer) of US$500 million fixed rate asset backed notes which represented one of the largest ABS transactions in the history of the intermodal containers leasing industry and the initial entry and subsequent refinance by Textainer Marine Containers II Limited (also an indirect, wholly-owned subsidiary of Textainer) of its $1.2 billion warehouse securitization facility.
- Advised a private equity consortium led by Centerbridge Partners, L.P. on their $952 million acquisition of Canopius from Sompo Holdings.
- Associate, Milbank Tweed Hadley & McCloy, London
- Trainee & Associate, Allen & Overy LLP, London
- College of Law (London), LLB, 2011
- University of Oxford, MSc, 2009
- University of Cambridge, MA, 2008
- Bermuda, 2013
- England & Wales, 2013 (not currently practising)
Awards & Accolades
- Recognised in the 2021 edition (2018 and 2019) of Legal 500 Caribbean as a Rising Star (banking, finance and capital markets)
- Recognised in the 2023 edition (and 2018) of Legal 500 Caribbean (corporate and commercial)
- Insolvency Lawyers Associate
- R3 – Association of Business Recovery Professionals
2022 Corporate Digest: Notable Deals & Transactions
Bermuda Public Companies Update – January 2021
Corporate Digest: Notable Deals and Transactions – Winter 2020
Corporate Digest: Notable Deals and Transactions – Autumn 2019
Corporate Digest: Notable Deals and Transactions – Spring 2019
Establishing a business in Bermuda – Thomas Reuters Practical Law, 2018
Initial Public Offerings 2017 | Bermuda – Global Legal Insights, 2017