Julie McLean is a Director in the Corporate Department and heads the Regulatory Team in Bermuda. She has a broad corporate and commercial law practice covering aviation finance, securitizations and structured finance, private equity and investment funds. She has particular expertise advising her fund clients on AML/ATF requirements but also provides general compliance and regulatory advice to clients across her practice. Julie liaises with the local regulatory bodies on a regular basis and advises clients on matters relating to anti-money laundering, anti-terrorist financing, sanctions, data privacy, economic substance, good corporate governance and ongoing regulatory compliance obligations for licensed entities.
- Liaised with BCCA to reactivate 83 bis with Azerbaijan and acted on three separate financings for aircraft to be operated by two separate Azerbaijani air operators. Aircraft included two Boeing 747-8Fs, two Boeing B787-8s and one Gulfstream G650.
- Acted in a refinancing transaction involving 20 Airbus A321-200 aircraft owned by an orphan trust structure with ECA financing.
- Advised on the establishment of an investment fund for investment through a new Bermuda special purpose insurer in a portfolio of collateralised reinsurance transactions and offer insurance-linked investments, including catastrophe bonds, industry loss warranties and insurer reinsurer debt and equity investments.
- University of British Columbia, LLB, 1992
- University of Western Ontario, B.A. History, 1989
- Bermuda, Barrister & Attorney, 1993
- Law society of British Columbia, Solicitor, 1993 (not currently practising)
Awards & Accolades
- Recognised in the 2020 edition (and since 2011) of Who’s Who Legal (Transport - Aviation (Finance))
- Recognised in the 2019 edition (and 2015, 2018) of Legal 500 Caribbean (corporate and commercial)
- Recognised in the 2015 edition of Expert Guides (aviation)
- Recognised in the 2020 edition (and since 2013) of Legal Media Groups' Expert Guides for both Aviation and Women in Business Law
- Recognised in the 2009 edition of IFLR1000 (financial and corporate)
- Member of Executive Committee of Bermuda Zoological Society
Co-author, Bermuda chapter of Aircraft Finance (Sweet & Maxwell)
Co-author, Bermuda chapter of Aircraft Liens and Detention Rights (Sweet & Maxwell)