Julie McLean is a Director in the Bermuda office of Conyers Dill & Pearman and is Global Head of the Aviation Finance Practice. Her practice covers asset finance with particular focus on aircraft finance and registrations, as well as investment funds with particular focus on partnerships and private equity. Julie advises investment banks, airlines, leasing companies and investment managers.
Julie regularly contributes to industry publications and is the author of the Bermuda chapters of each of Aircraft Finance (Sweet & Maxwell) and Aviation Law Review and is the co-author of the Bermuda chapter of Aircraft Liens and Detention Rights (Sweet & Maxwell). Julie works closely with the Bermuda Civil Aviation Authority and was a leading participant in the industry group enabling the Cape Town Convention’s anticipated extension to Bermuda by the United Kingdom.
She is recognized as a leader in her industry by Legal 500 Caribbean (corporate and commercial), Who’s Who Legal (aviation/transport), IFLR1000 and the Expert Guides: Women in Business Law (aviation).
- Liaised with BCCA to reactive 83 bis with Azerbaijan and acted on three separate financings for aircraft to be operated by two separate Azerbaijani air operators. Aircraft included two Boeing 747-8Fs, two Boeing B787-8s and one Gulfstream G650.
- Advised on an aircraft financing transaction involving the acquisition, lease and Bermuda registration of four (4) new Boeing B777-300 aircraft for ultimate leasing to Aeroflot Airlines.
- Acted in a refinancing transaction involving 20 Airbus A321-200 aircraft owned by an orphan trust structure with ECA financing.
- Advised on the establishment of an investment fund for investment through a new Bermuda special purpose insurer in a portfolio of collateralised reinsurance transactions and offer insurance-linked investments, including catastrophe bonds, industry loss warranties and insurer reinsurer debt and equity investments.
- University of British Columbia, LLB, 1992
- University of Western Ontario, B.A. History, 1989
- Bermuda, Barrister & Attorney, 1993
- Law society of British Columbia, Solicitor, 1993 (not currently practising)