Peter Ch’ng is a Partner in the Hong Kong office of Conyers Dill & Pearman. He joined Conyers in 2001 and was a Director in the Bermuda office prior to relocating to Conyers’ Hong Kong office in 2017.
Peter is a multi-disciplinary lawyer with over 25 years of experhttps://www.conyers.com/wp-admin/admin.php?page=wpseo_dashboardience. His offshore law practice spans across mergers and acquisitions, insurance and reinsurance, licensing and formations launches including ILS structures, investment funds, segregate portfolios company (SPC) and segregated accounts company (SAC) structure, private equity partnership formations, structured finance, special purpose vehicles and ownership-remote structures including charities, debt and equity offerings, IPOs and private placements, banking and financial services including financial derivatives, credit and security and general corporate and commercial matters across multiple jurisdictions.
Peter also leads Conyers’ Private Client & Trust Asia practice from the Hong Kong office. In that role, he focuses on Greater China and Asia-based clientele with the establishment and administration of offshore trusts. He specialises in non-contentious advisory work for commercial and private wealth structuring purposes. He is experienced in advising high net-worth individuals, business owners, investors, corporates and charitable entities on trusts and estate planning work, including succession planning, family and pre-IPO planning, asset protection, family business succession and governance as well as setting up employee benefit trusts and other bankruptcy-remote structures.
Peter plays a guiding role in the firm’s Financial Derivatives practice in Bermuda, the BVI and Cayman in providing netting and collateral enforceability opinions to leading banks and industry organizations such as International Swaps and Derivatives Association (ISDA), International Capital Markets Association (ICMA), International Securities Lending Association (ISLA) and the Securities Industry Financial Markets Association (SIFMA). Peter counts many global commercial banks and financial institutions (including The World Bank Group, NASDAQ), Canadian public pension funds and US-based global private equity fund managers amongst his long-standing key clients.
He has also served as a director on the boards of Irish software technology and consumer goods companies based in Bermuda.
Peter is consistently recognised by independent legal directories including Legal 500 for his work in corporate and commercial and insurance/reinsurance. Peter is admitted to the Bar Associations and the Law Societies in BVI, Bermuda, United Kingdom, New York and Singapore.
Conyers’ Bermuda and Cayman Islands Private Client & Trust practices have been recognised in Chambers & Partners’ High Net Worth Guide 2019, with Band 1 and Band 2 rankings respectively.
- Acted as Bermuda counsel to SS&C Technologies Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ: SSNC) in respect of its acquisition of Citi fund administration entities in Bermuda including Citi Fund Services (Bermuda) Limited, a Bermuda licensed fund administrator as part of Citigroup’s global initiative to divest its Alternative Investor Service business totally valued at US$321 million.
- Acted for a global investment management firm in respect of the re-domiciliation of a BSX-listed open-ended BVI segregated portfolio professional fund to Bermuda and its share capital restructuring and the preservation of its existing segregated portfolios and registration as an open-ended authorized Bermuda investment fund and as a segregated accounts company under The Segregated Accounts Companies Act 2000. Also advised on the spin-off and migration of a discrete segregated portfolio of the same BVI fund into an standalone Bermuda regulated mutual fund company.
- Acted for The Carlyle Group (NASDAQ: CG) L.P. on its acquisition of the Industrial Packaging Group from Illinois Tool Works (NYSE: ITW), renamed Signode Industrial Group, for US$3.2 billion.
- Acted in the establishment of a Bermuda insurance-linked securities (ILS) investment unit trust fund for Asuka Asset Management Co., Ltd launched in October 2012 targeting the Japanese investor market and the establishment of its investment manager, Eastpoint Asset Management Limited based in Bermuda.
- Acted for Mitsubishi UFJ Trust and Banking Corporation in its acquisition of The Butterfield Fulcrum Group, a leading independent hedge fund administrator and service provider to the alternative investment industry headquartered in Bermuda.
- Acted for SS&C (NASDAQ: SSNC) in respect of its acquisition of Prime Management Limited, a licensed fund administrator and leading service provider to investment structures, sponsors and managers in the insurance linked securities (ILS) market.
- Acted for Bermuda Community Foundation a local not-for-profit Bermuda company limited by guarantee with charitable philanthropic objects on its conversion to and registration as a segregated accounts company (SAC) under the Segregated Accounts Companies Act, 2000.
- Acted for International Swaps and Derivatives Association (ISDA), International Capital Markets Association (ICMA), International Securities Lending Association (ISLA) and the Securities Industry Financial Markets Association (SIFMA) in preparing industry core validity and enforceability, collateral and netting opinions for Bermuda.
- Acted for a US-based leading global private equity fund group specializing in distress debt investment in establishing Bermuda limited partnership fund platforms and special investment vehicles and advising on loan and leverage documentation with their global network of banks and financiers.
- Acted for a leading French bank in the conversion of its Bermuda reinsurance captive to a segregated accounts company (SAC) and advising on the transformation of OTC collateralized macro-longevity swap trades with global life insurers into reinsurance utilizing segregated accounts platform in Bermuda.
- Vice President/Legal Counsel, The Citigroup Private Bank, Asia-Pacific division, Singapore
- Senior Associate, Drew & Napier
- Associate, Allen & Gledhill
- Manchester Business School, University of Manchester, Postgraduate Diploma, Business Administration (Wealth Management), UK, 2009
- National University of Singapore, LLB (Hons), 1993
- Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court (British Virgin Islands), Solicitor, 2017
- Bermuda, Barrister & Attorney, 2003
- New York, Attorney and Counselor at Law, 2001
- England & Wales, Solicitor, 1997 (not currently practising)
- Singapore, Advocate & Solicitor, 1994
Awards & Accolades
- Recognised in the 2018 edition (and since 2015) of Legal 500 Caribbean (corporate and commercial)
- Recognised in the 2017 edition (and 2014) of Legal 500 Caribbean (insurance/reinsurance)
- Cited as a legal expert in Bermuda segregated accounts companies by Trading Risk, a leading ILS industry publication