Peter Ch’ng is a Partner in the Corporate Department in the Hong Kong office of Conyers Dill & Pearman. He joined Conyers in 2001 and was a Director in the Bermuda office prior to relocating to Conyers’ Hong Kong office in 2017.
Peter’s broad financial corporate practice covers mergers and acquisitions, insurance and reinsurance, mutual and investment funds including insurance linked securities structures (ILS), segregated accounts companies (SACs), private equity partnerships, structured finance, special purpose vehicles and ownership-remote structures including charities, corporate finance including debt and equity offerings, IPOs and private placements, banking and financial services including financial derivatives, credit and security and general corporate and commercial matters across multiple jurisdictions.
Peter has formed unit trust funds and private equity limited partnerships for investment. He also specializes in forming licensed reinsurance companies and advising on reinsurance transactions in the context of offshore insurance/reinsurance regulations.
Peter had guided the firm’s Financial Derivatives practice in Bermuda, the BVI, Cayman and Mauritius in providing netting and collateral enforceability opinions to leading banks and industry organizations such as International Swaps and Derivatives Association (ISDA), International Capital Markets Association (ICMA), International Securities Lending Association (ISLA) and the Securities Industry Financial Markets Association (SIFMA). Peter counts many global commercial banks and financial institutions (including The World Bank Group, NASDAQ), Canadian public pension funds and US-based global private equity fund managers amongst his long-standing key clients.
Peter also oversees the Private Client & Trust practices in Hong Kong, focusing on Greater China and Asia-based clientele with the establishment and administration of offshore family trusts.
Peter has also served as a director on the boards of Irish software technology and consumer goods companies based in Bermuda.
Peter is consistently recognised in Legal 500 Caribbean (corporate and commercial, insurance/reinsurance) and has been interviewed and cited in 2013 as a legal expert in Bermuda segregated accounts companies by Trading Risk, a leading ILS industry publication.
- Acted as Bermuda counsel to SS&C Technologies Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ: SSNC) in respect of its acquisition of Citi fund administration entities in Bermuda including Citi Fund Services (Bermuda) Limited, a Bermuda licensed fund administrator as part of Citigroup’s global initiative to divest its Alternative Investor Service business totally valued at US$321 million.
- Acted for a global investment management firm in respect of the re-domiciliation of a BSX-listed open-ended BVI segregated portfolio professional fund to Bermuda and its share capital restructuring and the preservation of its existing segregated portfolios and registration as an open-ended authorized Bermuda investment fund and as a segregated accounts company under The Segregated Accounts Companies Act 2000. Also advised on the spin-off and migration of a discrete segregated portfolio of the same BVI fund into an standalone Bermuda regulated mutual fund company.
- Acted for The Carlyle Group (NASDAQ: CG) L.P. on its acquisition of the Industrial Packaging Group from Illinois Tool Works (NYSE: ITW), renamed Signode Industrial Group, for US$3.2 billion.
- Acted in the establishment of a Bermuda insurance-linked securities (ILS) investment unit trust fund for Asuka Asset Management Co., Ltd launched in October 2012 targeting the Japanese investor market and the establishment of its investment manager, Eastpoint Asset Management Limited based in Bermuda.
- Acted for Mitsubishi UFJ Trust and Banking Corporation in its acquisition of The Butterfield Fulcrum Group, a leading independent hedge fund administrator and service provider to the alternative investment industry headquartered in Bermuda.
- Acted for SS&C (NASDAQ: SSNC) in respect of its acquisition of Prime Management Limited, a licensed fund administrator and leading service provider to investment structures, sponsors and managers in the insurance linked securities (ILS) market.
- Acted for Bermuda Community Foundation a local not-for-profit Bermuda company limited by guarantee with charitable philanthropic objects on its conversion to and registration as a segregated accounts company (SAC) under the Segregated Accounts Companies Act, 2000.
- Acted for International Swaps and Derivatives Association (ISDA), International Capital Markets Association (ICMA), International Securities Lending Association (ISLA) and the Securities Industry Financial Markets Association (SIFMA) in preparing industry core validity and enforceability, collateral and netting opinions for Bermuda.
- Acted for a US-based leading global private equity fund group specializing in distress debt investment in establishing Bermuda limited partnership fund platforms and special investment vehicles and advising on loan and leverage documentation with their global network of banks and financiers.
- Acted for a leading French bank in the conversion of its Bermuda reinsurance captive to a segregated accounts company (SAC) and advising on the transformation of OTC collateralized macro-longevity swap trades with global life insurers into reinsurance utilizing segregated accounts platform in Bermuda.
- Vice President/Legal Counsel, The Citigroup Private Bank, Asia-Pacific division, Singapore
- Senior Associate, Drew & Napier
- Associate, Allen & Gledhill
- Manchester Business School, University of Manchester, Postgraduate Diploma, Business Administration (Wealth Management), UK, 2009
- National University of Singapore, LLB (Hons), 1993
- Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court (British Virgin Islands), Solicitor, 2017
- Bermuda, Barrister and Attorney, 2003
- New York, Attorney and Counselor at Law, 2001
- England & Wales, Solicitor, 1997 (not currently practising)
- Singapore, Advocate & Solicitor, 1994